Thursday, June 22, 2006

breathe deep...

Today is a nice, brief half day of in-office work. I spent the morning helping people pack up and responded to some mail then I took off to the International Toy Building on 5th and Broadway for what was probably my coolest press event so far. The floor I was on was literally a child's dream. Video games, dolls, trucks, RC airplanes, water guns, kites ... it was so fucking cool. Kind of like FAO Schwarz without the crowds cool.

I got to play with some new kids games most of which will be on the market in the fall ... all confidential information though (yeah right, like someone's going to tell me confidential information). As soon as I finish this, I'm going to write it up for the PM blog but before that ...

... I'm definitly starting to get a little panicky about the magazine industry again. tonight I have a networking dinner to go to and just thinking about it makes my blood pressure rise. see, im fine with the whole "networking" thing if im on my own and just out there meeting people randomly or being introduced through a friend-of-a-friend deal, but when there's a room full of interns trying to make an impression on a room full of industry folks, it kind of makes my skin crawl. I offered to take a half-hour shift working the door, but there was no longer any help needed. damn, got the email too late.

I was just reading the Ed's Girl on the Hunt blog and the blogger said something that got me thinking: "I didn’t talk too much (thank God)."

Yeah, probably one of my biggest problems: I talk a lot. When I'm -cough- networking, I like to think I am preceptive enough to know when to shut up and want to speak up, but you never know with this industry. the tricky thing of it is that each person is SO different - some want to hear all about you. some only want to talk about themselves. some are great listeners, some have great advice...you have to feel it out with each person.

even writing this out now is making me feel better because I really don't think I have much to worry about - the other night i went out for drinks with the office and by nine o'clock it was just me, another intern and some of the younger staff. One guy laid it out for us (us being the interns): "This is how you fucked up and this is how you fucked up." My fuck-up was pretty minor in the grand-scheme of things -- I called the art dept the graphics dept -- and I was told i'd redeemed myself just fine. in fact, i was told that i i had a good attitude, was a good worker and could easily end up as an eic if i wanted, which boosted the ego WAY up.

well see how it goes ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home