Monday, June 12, 2006

organ players and dragon slayers

I haven't seen a movie theater with a live organ player in about a dozen years. im sitting here, in another tab, bouncing ideas off tiffany about theater designs for her architecture class and I suddenly remebered back to York Theater in good ol' Elmhurst and the organ player they used to have on Sunday afternoons. Now, of course, this was back when York was a third-run theater and it cost $1.75 to see a show (boy, I sound old - like I should be speaking of "talkies" old) -- that's such an interesting part of film history that's almost completly vanished in our generation. Really, there aren't many marqueed theaters left, at least that I know of, that are still functioning movie theaters, let alone theaters that employ organ players. I guess the giant theater chains thought dancing Fandango puppets are a suitable replacement for real, live organ music. Hell, they don't even have the dancing candy anymore (which I just tried unsucessfully to find on the internet). Ahhh ... the good old days

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home