Tuesday, July 04, 2006

catching up: intro

Happy Fourth of July!

My favorite holiday isn’t the same in New York City as it as at home – whether I mean Urbana, Kirkland or Elmhurst doesn’t matter – there are friends, beer and barbeque at all of those locations. Sure, I can get beer here and I have friends here, but it ain’t the same. Fourth of July just isn’t right without some grass to hangout on and your own bottle rockets to launch (at each other). I’m making the best of it though. I spent the afternoon at the Metropolatian Museum of Art after a much-needed but greatly loathed morning of sleeping until 1 got my day off to a late start. I love sleeping in, and it’s ok once in a while, but I’d rather get up at a decent time then nap later—I feel I make better use of my time that way. And I love afternoon naps.

I know I’ve been pretty shitty about keeping this thing updated, but I was too busy playing reporter (check it out here, here and here) that when I finished the work I brought home, I just wanted to go to sleep. I was covering breaking news all week, something I haven’t done in a while, and it gave me a lot of insight into covering breaking/ongoing stories on the web—when does the story evolve enough to warrant another web post? What balance between editorial comment and actual news are you looking to achiece? Are you going to run the press release quotes everyone else is running or look for the unique angle? (the answer to that might seem obvious, but it’s more involved than that, really.) Is anyone actually going to read the frickin’ thing? It was such a rush, and I’m even more positive that I want to get into the grey area between magazines and online publications, right now I specifically want to work to help different medias cross-reference eachother and use all available outlets to taylor-fit their content and make it most useful to different sectors of their audience.

Enough of the boring shit though … I’m going to read for a while before the giant slew of people whom I’m going to watch the fireworks with arrives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home